Going from 2.2.12 to 2.2.17pre10

Michael Lundkvist ml at epact.se
Fri Jul 7 08:23:07 EST 2000

Gabriel Paubert <paubert at iram.es> writes:

> Ok, never had any problems with SCSI since DMA always gets the byte order
> right ;-)

It wasn't my decision to go with IDE...

> Where is and what is Bugboot ?

It's a bootloader for flashed kernels. Written by Matt Porter from Motorola.
http://members.home.net/mmporter/linux/

Could I do the same thing with your bootloader?

I would like to have a bootloader that can read from disk so that it
is easy to replace the kernel.

> Quite a lot. A complete bootloader, drivers for VME and many small patches
> in the arch/ppc/kernel subtree. A diffstat of both patches gives:
>
>  73 files changed, 19880 insertions, 478 deletions

OK. Then I'd like to try it. My initial tests with 2.2.17pre10 didn't
turn out well.

> I had to shut down an MVME2600 after 6 months of uptime with this kernel
> for hardware upgrade. It is used as a server for all the nfsroot machines
> and to compile all the software for these (and sometimes heavily swapping:
> 3 compiles in parallel in 32 Mb or RAM are noticeable). The MVME2400 have
> never been under serious load, so I don't know if they have specific
> problems but the kernel is essentially the same (less drivers and
> filesystems).

I ran the Debian 2.2.12 (with Motorola SROM bug patch) on a 2300 with
a fair bit of compiling and it was stable. The same kernel on an 2400
was unstable during compiles.

> I have not heavily stress-tested 2.4.0-test2 (well recompiling kernels and
> performing bitkeeper patch imports is kind of stress testing I/O,
> especially with 16Mb), I had some filesystem problems in 2.3.50 but they
> have vanished it seems.
>
> 	Gabriel.

I'll give your 2.4 a try. I need to get atleast one more PMC disk so I
can have one stable and one unstable evironment.

On an unrelated subject. I would like to have a Linux-board as SYSCON
on the VME bus that is able to generate a reset on the bus but doesn't
listen to it. Have you got any idea if it would be possible to modify
a MVME-card that way? To me it looks like it would be possible to
disconnect the signal from the Universe-bridge.

/Micke