Multi-boot advice.

Matt Brubeck mbrubeck at hmc.edu
Fri Jul 7 00:38:01 EST 2000

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Iain Sandoe wrote:

> I've just got a G4/500 - and I want to configure it to boot:
>
> LinuxPPC.
> MacOS (9)
> MacOS (X) / Darwin
>
> Does anyone know if there is one boot method that will do all three?

Yes. New-world machines like yours have a built-in graphical multibooter.
Hold down option during boot, and you get a button for each bootable
volume found by open firmware. For this to work with Linux, you must be
using an OF-bootable partition with yaboot, such as the one set up by ybin
<http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/ybin/>. In the latest version, there's
even a cute penguin icon for the yaboot button.

This method is somewhat slow, and you *must* hold down option to boot into
any OS other than your default. Because I rarely boot out of Linux,
however, I use it on my iMac 350 to tri-boot with MacOS 9 and Darwin.

I believe this should work on the iBook, AGP G4, slot-loading iMacs, and
Firewire PowerBooks. Can anyone verify or correct this?