seemingly random lock-up with kernel 2.2.17p7

Mario Scarpa m.scarpa at mondonet.net
Thu Jul 6 01:27:25 EST 2000

me at johngrimes.com wrote:

> Gwyn,
>         It does look we might have the same bug.  I'm not using XFree86-4
> either I'm also at XFree86-3.3.6-8a.  Did you say you had a rage128gl
> card?  Although I do usually have xmms open when I crash I usually am not
> playing sound so I don't think thats the problem.
>         Where can I get the latest 2.2 series kernel and more importantly,
> the latest rage128gl drivers (source off course is fine).  I use some hfs
> so I don't really want to try 2.4pre series as yet.
>         It also might be time to try Xfree86-4 (although I don't think
> this would fix it).  I really want to get multihead to work but I didn't
> have any luck with Xfree86-4 in the earlier incarnations to even get one
> monitor working.
>                                         John
> PS I am using BootX but I don't think that is the problem.

Hi there,

I've got a lombard (400MHz, 64MB) and had precisly the same
behaviour: I was playing some MP3s (mpg123 under X 3.3.6-8
debianPPC) and the system just crashed two times this morning;
coz I tried to ping it from another machine and coz I tried
to shut X down but everything was failing (definitively a system
crash I would say)...
Another brick in the wall...the MP3 I was listening this morning
where both on a CDROM and on a HD and yesterday, just doing a lot
of HD traffic (moving around some huge dirs) I had another lock;
it doesn't happen so often (would say never)...could it be something
related to the IDE driver ? Kernel here 's 2.2.17pre7 rsynced
from linuxcare.

bye,

--
Mario Scarpa