seemingly random lock-up with kernel 2.2.17p7

Gwyn Judd b.judd at xtra.co.nz
Thu Jul 6 00:03:42 EST 2000

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:51:09AM -0500, me at johngrimes.com wrote:
> Gwyn,
> 	Might be related or might not but I have recently started having
> troubles too with random locks.
> 	Now I am running 2.2.15 (but this started happening soon after the
> upgrade)
> 	Now my error is not directly with the kernel though.  If I am in
> the console it has never happened but only if I am in X.  In fact its X
> that crashes but as no keys work it doesn't matter.  Now I always have
> xmms open when I crash but it also might be a screensaver problem as it
> always happens when the screensaver is one (which is the majority of the
> time though).
> 	Does this sound similar?
> 	Do you have an ati rage 128gl card by chance?
> 	John

This all sounds quite familiar. The lockups have happened with both xmms
and mpg123. I have no idea if it is a full system lock or just X since I
have no remote machine to ping it with, all I am able to do is force
reboot. It happened also with 2.2.15 I think as well as 2.2.16

--
Gwyn Judd (b.judd at xtra.co.nz)
With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once