altivec instructions

Tony Mantler eek at escape.ca
Tue Jan 25 10:32:47 EST 2000

At 4:16 PM -0600 1/24/00, Robert Neugebauer wrote:
>Wouldn't the 2.2 kernel patches for altivec instructions handle that. I
>don't know if they were supported, but they worked on my G4 and haven't
>caused any instability. I had found them somewhere on devel.linuxppc.org.
>
>I can send them too you if you need.
>
>Bob
[...]

*search, search* Ah, so there is a patch. I assume this is the one you're
referring to?
<http://devel.linuxppc.org/ftp/users/ajoshi/altivec-2.2.patch>

It might just be my imagination, but for some reason it doesn't look like
that patch actually touches any altivec registers other than the VRSAVE...

For a single altivec task on a UP system it might work, though.

While I'm on the subject, does GCC even have altivec support yet? It seems
I always miss all the important announcements... :)

Cheers - Tony :)

--
Tony Mantler         Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire         eek at escape.ca
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada                       http://www.escape.ca/~eek