Stock 2.2.14 won't boot

Nelson Abramson pogtal at erols.com
Mon Jan 24 01:22:20 EST 2000

"Michael R. Zucca" wrote:

> No errors during make, otherwise I wouldn't have a kernel to boot :-)

Good call :)

> >What fails during boot..?
>
> BootX switches to the black screen where it informs me of the kernel
> version and a few address offsets (like video address, etc.) All of this is
> normal. It just hangs there and doesn't progress.

Okay, well, I might work backwards, see what is the last thing that gets outputed,
and try either disabling that, or whatever would come next...

> >What are you
> >configuring into the kernel that is causing it to fail...?
>
> Nothing especially spectacular. 604, PowerMac, ati framebuffer, bootX
> console support, pmac serial support, pmac floppy support, vga console,
> mace ethernet, adaptec PCI scsi support, internal SCSI support (53C support
> not the other kind), DMA sound for awacs, some file systems, PPP, etc.

I might make sure that you don't have multiple things compiled for the same
support (eg. powermac floppy support, atapi floppy support and pc floppy
support...)

> I'm not compiling in anything I haven't in past versions.
>
> I am booting off of a drive attached to the PCI scsi card but that
> shouldn't matter as this works fine from older kernels.

<drawing a blank>

HTH
--Nelson Abramson

--
"Every time you get a dialog box you don't understand, you ought to get a nickel
 from Microsoft, and every time it crashes, you should get a dollar.  That would