*_find_end_of_memory Mach Dep?

Grant Erickson grant at lcse.umn.edu
Sat Jan 15 08:07:16 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Charles Lepple wrote:
> Grant Erickson wrote:
> >
> > Instead of having a mess of ifdef's and such in MMU_init for {apus, pmac,
> > m8xx, oak, chrp, etc}_find_end_of_memory, is there any compelling reason
> > not to make a ppc_md machine dependency entry for these?
>
> When I converted some code to the ppc_md interface, I seem to remember a
> few cases where I couldn't do it that way because the ppc_md structure
> was not completely filled out. It can get to be a catch-22 -- there has
> to be one messy function.

Fair enough. However, since identify_machine is called before MMU_init and
<platform>_init is called in identify_machine, then it's reasonable that
the ppc_md structure is filled out by the time we hit MMU_init.

So, it seems reasonable that "identify_machine" remains the messy
function and MMU_init could be cleaned up somewhat.

Grant