write into OF tree like nvsetenv

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Tue Jan 11 01:58:01 EST 2000

On 9/1/2000 Olaf Hering wrote:

>I want exactly this automatic. This works fine on the current IDE Macs,
>but with a B&W Scsi Mac a "typical" User has lost.
>The path on my Mac is something like
>
>/pci/pci-bridge/ADPT,2940U2B/@6:7,blah
>
>Too complex.

agreed, OF device paths are gross ;)

I have two comments on this, one this can be automatic if you make
the bootstrap partition look like a MacOS bootdisk  (as my ybin
scripts will do) and the mac-boot function `should' find it and see
it as bootable and load the bootfile(*) automatically, however this
is quite slow, it can take up to 2 to 5 MINUTES for this to occur (at
least on my B&W with a adaptec 2930).

(*) bootfile as in the file in the blessed directory with a HFS file
type of tbxi, my scripts will set the OF script to this if a OF
script is used and if not the yaboot file gets it.

the other problem, is there is currently no way to determine the OF
device path of a Linux device file, we cannot tell what /dev/sdb3's
OF path is, BenH tells me to add this would require modification of
every block device driver (which opens a big can of worms).

in short we have 2 problems right now: 1) we cannot write to OF nvram
from linux at the moment and 2) we cannot figure out WHAT to write to
it...

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/