MPC850 Development Board - with SDRAM

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Mon Jan 10 14:01:27 EST 2000

Dan Dickey wrote:

> .....  I'm not sure that any "smaller"
> companies actually make powerpc development systems - instead,
> I can only find them at Motorola and IBM, and ???.

There are some, but their goal is usually to sell expensive PC-based
development tools.  They are also subject to the silicon "droppings"
(from all parts suppliers) since the volume is small.

> I haven't responded back to Robert yet; but I'm intrigued by the
> last line - is there a system in the works that has SDRAM on it?
> (And no EDO).  Time will tell.

Of course there are such systems in the works.  Like he said,
their expansion boards have it as an option, and if you consider
what they do and future processors available......

> And yes - I'm aware that Embedded Planet isn't in the
> development system market - but you do have to admit, their
> boards also fulfill that requirement pretty well.  :)

Yes, they do.  It is more fun to work with companies that integrate
these boards and see your efforts (and software) be deployed in
just a few months.  Developing boot roms and debugging hardware
is fun once or twice, but developing cool applications quickly
is fun forever.

	-- Dan