Changes for IDE on PREP Hardware

Eric Valette valette at crf.canon.fr
Thu Jan 6 23:15:48 EST 2000

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Porter <mmporter at home.com> writes:

Matt> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 10:24:21PM -0700, Cort Dougan wrote:

>> } Attached is a patch which allows to work Motorola PREP hardware (like
>> } Blackhawk) to use IDE devices (disk and cdrom). The patch tries to
>> } selectively introduce the changes for the Motorola hardware only.
>> } IBM's can stay with their irq 13 for IDE and with their preferred
>> } method of non swapped data stream. I have no chance to test on IBM.
>>
>> How would this work if both irqs arrive at the same time?
>>
>> Johnnie, Matt - can you test this out on your systems?

Matt> Alois' IDE patch is a subset of the functionality that has made it into
Matt> 2.2.14 from our IDE patch.  This patch doesn't account for the secondary
Matt> IDE controller on irq 15 among other things.  I'm attaching our full
Matt> patch as submitted versus 2.2.14pre4 so everybody can see the code I'm
Matt> talking about.  Note that changes to ide-pci.c, ide-probe.c, and sl82c105.c
Matt> in the patch got dropped and Alan said "maybe for 2.2.15".  The full patch
Matt> was tested on every board MCG has made with IDE.

Matt> As for the 8259 patch, I think it may help the problem but will
Matt> probably cause some bad situations disabling interrupts like that.  I
Matt> will test it out and see if it can be used or made better so we can
Matt> get these PReP 8259 problems behind us.

Just to tell you that :

        1) I applied the 2.2.14pre4 prepide-patch on a clean
        linux 2.2.14 tree. Effectively the ppc part is in and
        not the ide-pci.c, ide-probe.c, and sl82c105.c
        2) BUT : after applying the missing part of the patches
        the behavior is absolutely identical!!!

hdc : lost interrupt...

any other hints?

--