enhanced RTC and SMP on PowerMac

Joseph Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Thu Jan 6 09:31:55 EST 2000

Naoki Takebayashi wrote:

> Is enhanced RTC supposed to work on PowerMac?  When I compile with
> CONFIG_RTC, the kernel doesn't boot up and dies when it hits the following
> line:
>
>    /* Initialize periodic freq. to CMOS reset default, which is 1024Hz */
>    CMOS_WRITE(((CMOS_READ(RTC_FREQ_SELECT) & 0xF0) | 0x06), RTC_FREQ_SELECT);

I have the same problem.  I dont think it should work.  (CMOS on a ppc?)

I have noticed that the 'clock' program seems to access the rtc.  Assuming it
is, it may have the code we want to put in the kernel.

Joseph P. Garcia      jpgarcia at execpc.com      jpgarcia at lidar.ssec.wisc.edu
CS Undergraduate                      Student Employee - Systems Programmer
University of Wisconsin - Madison                            UW Lidar Group