problem building 2.3.47: no macintosh.a file

Lou Langholtz ldl at chpc.utah.edu
Tue Feb 29 13:03:09 EST 2000

Lou Langholtz wrote:

> When trying to compile the 2.3.47 linux distribution from a kernel.org
> mirror, I don't get a macintosh.a file built in my drivers/macintosh/
> directory. As a matter of fact, I don't seem to get any macintosh
> drivers built in that directory as there's no .o files at all. Anyone
> else experience this? I've tried poking around to discover where the
> error could be but so far I'm clueless about this. Am I doing something
> wrong with my .config configuration info? I've attached my .config file
> in case this could be it and someone could check it. Any other
> possibilities?

Aha! I found I needed to change (fix?) drivers/Makefile to essentially add in
the macintosh subdirectory like for CONFIG_MAC but for CONFIG_PPC. I've
attached this context diff.

> BTW: I did have to make some minor changes to get even so far as to try
> linking it all together. I've attached the context diff of my mem.c file
> which I had to change to get it to compile. Could my simple change be
> the right thing to have done for the mem.c file???

Now the linker gets the macintosh.a stuff but spews out about some undefined
references and fails. I suspect I may be able to fix this by changing my
configuration. If anybody knows better, please let me know too. The actual
undefined references are to: find_via_pmu, pmu_poll, backlight_level,
pmu_set_brightness, and vgacon_remap_base.

Advanced thanks ;-)