patch to get latest XFree 4.0 snapshot (xf3918) to work on ppc with r128

Kostas Gewrgiou gewrgiou at imbc.gr
Fri Feb 25 23:28:45 EST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Kevin Hendricks wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at my mouse problems in XF 3.9.18 and put some debug
> statements into Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/mouse/mouse.c to look at the raw
> characters being read from /dev/usbmouse.
>
> They seemed to pretty much be garabage and out of sync.  Sometimes the head of
> the character buffer showed mouse button events and sometimes other buffer
> positions showed the events.   Also, the mouse.c driver tries to read 4
> characters from the usb mouse while the Xpmac mouse driver I wrote only reads 3
> bytes at a time.
>
> So the IMPS/2 protocol is just getting garbage to process into buttons, and dx,
> dy, dz.
>
> Is this a known problem?

  There were some changes recently in the mouse module in xfree, some PS/2
mice were broken for a while but that has been fixed before 3.9.18, I don't
a usb mouse at my mac so i can't help there but IMPS/2 works fine in my x86
machine.

> I looked back to xf3.9.17 and it defaulted to my legacy mouse driver but xf
> 3.9.18 won't seem to do that  (the mouse module is forcibly loaded by XFree86
> Xserver whether you want it to or not).

  I am not sure but i think that 3.9.17 was using the same code as well,
probably one of the changes in mouse.c broke something. Is it IMPS/2 the
right protocol for the ppc usb mice btw ? If our usb code uses 3 bytes
then its not using the IntelliMouse protocol (which is 4 bytes as i can
see in the code).

> Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated?

  Can you try with the other PS/2 protocols and if you still can't get
the mouse working try with older mouse code from 3.9.17 that will help
tracking down the problem.

> Has anyone been able to get a usb mouse working with xf 3.9.18?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

  Kostas Gewrgiou