PCI Bus not recognizing cards properly

sat satadru at umich.edu
Fri Feb 25 04:42:58 EST 2000

kernel 2.2.7-vger--> ALl the scsi cards work, the ethernet card doesn't

Any new kernel/ or any kernel that I compile--> The first scsi card doesn't
whow up.

The machine is a PowerMac 7600/132.

Cards from left to right in the box:

Adaptec 2940U2W
Farallon  Fast EtherTX 10/100
Adaptec 2940UW
--

The first SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940U2W, which is only recognized by
booting with the vmlinux.2.2.7-vger kernel from

(Can somebody explain how I can get the source and .config for this kernel?)

Since my boot parition is on a scsi hard drive connected to the U2W card, I
can't boot unless I use this kernel.  (Open Firmware recognizes this card
though, and is able to load the kernel off of the hard drive conected to
this card fine.)

On another note, the ethernet card is being recognized, but seems to be
disabled.  The card is a Farallon Fast EtherTX 10/100 Card, and their web
site seems to indicate that a Tulip driver should work for this card, so
I'm a bit flummoxed as to what I should do to get this card working.   I of
course would like to upgrade to a newer kernel and see if that makes the
card work, but then the scsi card refuses to work, so that nixes any
solution from that end.

Any help from any angle would be appreciated.   Any kernel patches will be
gratefully tested to fix this problem.

Thanks again.

satadru

Debug info:

from dmesg:
(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 13/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 407 instructions downloaded
(scsi1) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 15/0
<snip>
eth1: DC21143 at 0x0400 (PCI bus 0, device 14), h/w address
00:00:c6:53:27:90,
      and requires IRQ24 (provided by PCI BIOS).
de4x5.c:V0.543 1998/12/30 davies at maniac.ultranet.com

<- Note: the PCI 13/0 just doesn't show up under newer kernels, and the
ethernet card seems to want to reassign itself to PCI 15/0.  ->

(output from /sbin/lspci -v )

00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. Bandit PowerPC host bridge (rev 03)
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32

00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec 2940U2
        Subsystem: Unknown device 9005:a180
        BIST result: 00
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        Memory at 80870000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
(rev 41)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 10b8:2401
        I/O ports at 0400
        Memory at 80871000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled]

00:0f.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AIC-7881U
        I/O ports at <unassigned>
        Memory at 80872000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

00:10.0 Class ff00: Apple Computer Inc. Grand Central I/O (rev 02)
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
        Memory at f3000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

/sbin/lspci -n:

00:0b.0 Class 0600: 106b:0001 (rev 03)
00:0d.0 Class 0100: 9005:0010
00:0e.0 Class 0200: 1011:0019 (rev 41)