PowerMac G4 and pcmcia flash cards

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org
Thu Feb 24 08:16:37 EST 2000

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Dan Bethe wrote:

> 	Hi there Tim.  I'm not sure I entirely follow you on the marketing
> issue of these cards or ports.  Are you saying that Apple wants to
> fracture the PCMCIA standard in general because they're able to make
> the Airport cards far cheaper than the typical IEEE 802.11 vendor, and
> so people would overwhelmingly purchase Apple's cards for general
> wireless purposes rather than from the typical vendor?
> 	I guess I didn't quite get the meaning of "gray market"  :)  Is that
> it?

Pretty much.  Grey market is most commonly used for things like video gear
where people buy camcorders in other countries and sell them in the U.S.
at less than the normal U.S. price.  It's legal, but somewhat unethical.
The term can also apply to the resale of OEM products without the product
with which they were bundled originally, IIRC.  I think that's the
definition being used here.

> 	But other than that, Airport is equal to IEEE 802.11, right?

I believe so, yes, assuming that's the wireless ethernet spec #.

So, anybody want to build a pin-rearranger?  ;-)

David