PowerMac G4 and pcmcia flash cards

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 23 17:07:36 EST 2000

At 9:10 PM -0500 2/22/00, Ryan Boder wrote:
>Hi,
>
>need to write a little boot prom and I would like to use my G4 to put it
>on a flash card. I have tried using pcmcia card services by David Hinds
>and it won't even install.

Do you mean a binary installation?  Or were you trying to recompile?

>  This is no surprise since he claims in the
>HOWTO that Macs are not supproted yet.

It's not supported by him, but pcmcia-cs 3.0.14 should work on 2.2.x
kernels, especially if patched with the attached patchfile before
compiling.

>  How you guys been using pcmcia
>devices and does anyone know if I can do it on my G4?

Well, you're going to face a pretty fundamental barrier in that the
G4 does not have any PCMCIA sockets.  Despite appareances, the
internal AirPort socket on the AGP models is not PCMCIA.  It will not
work at all with anything other than an AirPort card.