hfs+

Brad Boyer flar at pants.nu
Fri Feb 18 01:43:26 EST 2000

Dan Bethe wrote:
> 	Bless you.  Lots of people would be grateful.  This would be
> tremendously useful, especially if it could be the main crossplatform,
> mature, multiuser, unix-like filesystem to share data between Linux and
> MacOS 8/9/10 on the same machine.
> 	Beware of duplicate work.  There are the hfsutils, which are user
> space utilities.  And there is something that's either a library or a
> kernel module, that someone's working on, which is nonfunctional at
> this time.
> 	Do searches on lists.linuxppc.org to find who's doing what.  We've
> recently discussed this within the last 2 months.
> 	pajama1 at mindspring.com and tdilling at oncodev.isc-net.upenn.edu are in
> my linuxppc notes as being interested in hfs+ development.
> 	Also see this:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1150.html
>
> --- marv <omarvo at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Who's working HFS+ and can i help? I know some seem and i've been
> > reading the kernel vfs docs and the hfs+ docs from apple.
> > Reply directly because i was too lazy to join the mailing list
> > although
> > i did browse through the archives :P

I am the one with the mostly non functional code for a kernel filesystem
module for hfsplus.  The current code is available in my directory on
devel.linuxppc.org as a patch against a 2.2.14 kernel tree. However, the
big problem now is that the filesystem structure doesn't seem to match
what I got out of the Apple technote, which may be due to an error
on my part or a lack of info from Apple. I haven't had the time to look
into it carefully yet, but if you want to look, I'll do what I can to
help. The URL is http://dev.linuxppc.org/pub/users/flar/ which has
links to individual patches I have posted. The most recent patch as of
this moment can mount a filesystem and has code to read directories and
data forks of files, but sometimes misreads the catalog and loses track
of files at odd times. It isn't likely to damage disks, but it does
crash occasionally and cause strange errors.

	Brad Boyer
	flar at pants.nu