Vger CVS R.I.P. (Was Re: the state of the linuxppc-dev community)

Jesper Skov jskov at redhat.com
Thu Feb 10 20:42:22 EST 2000

>>>>> "Larry" == Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> writes:
Larry> Basic stuff you'll need:

Larry>     # get yourself a baseline tree $ bk clone
Larry> hq.fsmlabs.com:/home/bk/linuxppc_2_3 linuxppc_2_3

Larry>     # Set it up for building/working (this checks out and locks
Larry> all files) $ bk -r edit

Larry>     # hack, build, debug, hack, build, debug

Larry>     # Run citool to commit (LOCALLY! Not like CVS) your changes
Larry> $ bk citool

Larry>     # Update your tree with anything that's happened since last
Larry> time $ bk pull

 bk resolve

 bk -r get

Larry>     # Push back any changes you've made $ bk push

Larry>     # Browse the tree's changes $ bk sccstool

Larry>     # Browse a specific file $ bk sccstool fs/ext2/super.c

Larry> There's tons more but that's all most people ever need.  Cort,
Larry> did I forget anything?

I'm not Cort, but I've been there :)  As I put in above, most people
(that do any hacking) would have to resolve conflicts between their
local tree and changes committed to Cort's tree.

And I find I also have to run 'bk -r get' after a pull to ensure all
new files get "checked out".

As for general usability, with a trained CVS monkey's POV, bk does
take some getting used to. My biggest problem has been finding the
proper documentation(*) - Larry, you may want to post the list above as a
CVS-user's-crash-course on the web site.

Another observation: keeping the repository data in the "build tree"
has caused me to do two things:

 Update my grep scripts and such to ignore SCCS directories.

 Use a buffer tree between Cort's tree and my development tree,
 allowing me to pull new changes without risking conflicts, and
 allowing simple tar-ball backups of the repository (without having to
 filter out checked out source files and random .o files).

Jesper

(*): plenty of documentation in the tools, it's just that I find
     myself clicking around in 'bk helptool' for a long time before I
     find what I need. I would have liked HTML/ASCII documentation
     better.