more Re: Low memory problems in 8xx Linux

Jesper Skov jskov at redhat.com
Wed Feb 9 19:40:03 EST 2000

Peter> Jesper Skov wrote: <snip>

>> An alternative and slighly faster implementation might be to skip
>> the _PAGE_PRESENT check. Any reason something like this wouldn't
>> work?

Peter> <snip>

Peter> I had another look at the code and I now remember my rationale
Peter> for the _PAGE_PRESENT test. It wasn't to do with level 1 table
Peter> entries, Dan's code already takes care of that. It was so that
Peter> a zeroed pte couldn't get changed to a non-zero value, since
Peter> that would make the pte_none() function return the wrong
Peter> result. (Moreover, it just seemed wrong to mess with something
Peter> that's marked "invalid".)

Peter> Admittedly I'm being a bit paranoid since the next thing the
Peter> exception handler is likely to do is set the page table entry
Peter> to something valid.  But, can you be sure? What about a
Peter> segmentation fault? ;)

No, sounds sensible.

Jesper