BMAC eth problems...

Joseph Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Wed Feb 9 00:22:45 EST 2000

Josh Huber wrote:
> Anyone else seeing this?

My wallstreet/300 has a similar, possibly related problem.  any FTP transfer
originating from my powerbook in Linux (under any client or server) has a max
transfer under 100k.  This is a BMAC driver problem.  my brother's lombard
(BMAC+) seems to have no problem.  The big thing to notice is that in my case,
the traffic is colliding... with itself.  Duplex problem? (BMAC+ can, BMAC
cant).. but since we're not on a switched hub, that doesn't make much sense.

MacOS has no problems with my ethernet card; incoming FTP transfers work normal;
and i double checked with an FTP to myself (using lo), and it went fast.  So i
deduce this is a problem in someway connected to the hardware driver.

I have tested one theory.  In bmac.c, there is a delay called MIFDELAY that in
2.2.1 was 500, and now is 10.  I tried putting it back to make sure it wasn't
tripping on itself with that, but there was no improvement.

Other ideas?

Joseph P. Garcia      jpgarcia at execpc.com      jpgarcia at lidar.ssec.wisc.edu
CS Undergraduate                      Student Employee - Systems Programmer
University of Wisconsin - Madison                            UW Lidar Group