is gcc optimized for g4 processors ?

Holger Bettag hobold at Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE
Thu Feb 3 04:33:45 EST 2000

Stephane GEORGES <sg at dalim.de> writes:

> I'm doing performance tests on my G4 - 400 AGP.
> I would like to know if gcc (egcs-2.91.66) can be optimized for G4 processor.
>
> Does -mcpu=7400 exists ?

I don't think the option is in there yet. But -mcpu=604e should fit the 7400
quite well, for both integer and floating point code. The only big scheduling
difference would be for integer multiplications.

(The 604e has a separate, pipelined integer multiplier, while the 7400's is
non-pipelined and blocks one of the integer units, but has an early-exit-
capability if one the factors has less than 32 significant bits.)

  Holger