kerne-2.4.0-test13pre3 with gcc-2.97

Richard Henderson rth at redhat.com
Thu Dec 28 10:37:13 EST 2000

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 04:08:08PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> > Which is not backward compatible, unfortunately.
>
> Indeed.  I wish we had maintained the old syntax for
> backward-compatibility, even if with a deprecation warning.

We *have* maintained the old syntax.

But there are some quirky differences from the old behaviour wrt
initialization and sizeof that need to be resolved.  To wit:

 * The linux net/ code insists on initializing a zero-length array
   member with an empty initializer.  We should silently drop the
   initialization in this case.

 * Several places in the linux kernel expect sizeof of a zero-length
   array to be zero.  Typically this happens in some edge case like

	long stuff[N_WORDS-1]

   where a flexible array member isn't really wanted, but N_WORDS
   happens to be 1 for some configuration.

Fixing this compatibility stuff is on my to-do list.

r~