Need testers with MESH SCSI

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Thu Dec 28 05:15:35 EST 2000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >Note that there can be other problems with the mesh as well: I remember
> I once
> >had some early 2.3.x kernels that could not init the mesh when cold-booted,
> >only when warm-booted. So I had to boot an older kernel first each time I had
> >powered down my box :-)
>
> There were issues with powering up the MESH on some powerbooks that were
> fixed some time ago, but maybe your issue is unrelated.

Yes, since I don't have a Powerbook, but a LongTrail.

> Looking at Darwin's MESH driver, they have a whole bunch of workarounds
> for known issues (either with common device protocol errors, or MESH
> internal races).

I still see the

    mesh: halt_dma: data_ptr=-256 (nb=20736, ms=c06ff278)

(i.e. the DMA ptr shows it did 256 bytes too much), but I never noticed any
file corruption during the 3.5 years I've been using this machine. Let's call
it a harmless hardware bug.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds