Btree directories (Re: Status of HFS+ support)

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org
Thu Aug 31 09:13:37 EST 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>
> > Also, race protection in the VFS layer doesn't make sense either, because
> > how can the VFS possibly assume anything about the structure to know what
> > it can and can't allow to happen concurrently?  And the sticky directory
> > thing... that's the filesystem's responsibility to implement that, not the
> > VFS layer.
>
> Oh, really? How about rename()/rename() ones? I mean, those that were
> _totally_ fucked up in 4.4BSD all over the friggin' place. How about
> rename()/rmdir()? (ditto) Why should _that_ be duplicated into every fs,
> with its own set of bugs in each of them?

How about a database filesystem that presents different view to different
clients.  User A may rename the "file" and it may only affect user A's
view.  User B could then rename that same file to a different filename.
It's simply not reasonable to assume global (system-wide) unix semantics
for a filesystem, even for obvious functions like rename or rmdir if you
want the fs API to be expandable to future filesystems that might come
along.

David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.