Btree directories (Re: Status of HFS+ support)

Chris Mason mason at suse.com
Thu Aug 31 01:25:46 EST 2000

On 8/29/00, 1:18:51 PM, Matthew Wilcox <matthew at wil.cx> wrote regarding
Btree directories (Re: Status of HFS+ support):

[ 32 bit directory offsets ]

> Hmmm.. now the LFS patches have gone in and f_pos is now a 64-bit
quantity,
> this sounds more plausible.  I'd be curious to hear from the ReiserFS
> people how they solved this problem.

In reiserfs, the offset in the directory is a hash of the file name.  The
directories are sparse, so we could have a directory with 4 items,
offsets 1, 2, 32458, 2million.  The hash of a given item never changes,
new items can be inserted or removed from either side of any existing
item (except . and ..)

-chris