Control fb problem on 8500

Michel Dänzer daenzer at relog.ch
Wed Aug 23 18:21:46 EST 2000

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > I guess control is the exception. I found out it isn't worth the memory
> > > impact. I once ran a complete x11perf run comparing with and without
> > > shadowfb, and with shadowfb was overall slower. Some operations were
> > > faster, though, but not in general.
> >
> > Oh no. This is very bad.
>
> But that was on 4.0, not 4.0.1, right? shadowfb on 4.0 fbdev treated me to
> a ~5sec delay on logout while that nice grey pattern was drawn line by
> line. Someone said it was due to a bug in shadowfb... and I'd assume it
> was fixed in 4.0.1.

This is GNOME, right? There has been discussion about that on an XFree86 list
(if it was Xpert, you can search the archive if you like), it's a GNOME bug.
It used stippled rectangles to draw that, which led to the whole rectangle
area being considered updated and copied from the shadow framebuffer to the
real one.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project