Control fb problem on 8500

Michel Dänzer daenzer at relog.ch
Tue Aug 22 18:33:31 EST 2000

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:
> > Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > I suppose
> > >
> > >     if (fix.line_length)
> > >         pScrn->displayWidth = fix.line_length*8/var.bits_per_pixel;
> > >     else
> > >         pScrn->displayWidth = var.xres_virtual;
> > >
> > > should work fine, except on hardware were
> > > fix.line_length*8/var.bits_per_pixel might not be integer (e.g. if
> > > 1280x1024x24 mode requires a line_length of 4096).
> >
> > I've thought of this as well. The problem is that the mode hasn't been
> > initialized when displayWidth is set and used.
>
> So the X server initializes the internal screen structures before it even
> knows that it can use them later?

Yes. This really seems to be a rather serious design flaw - the driver is
assumed to know at any time whether it can cope with what the user wants and
how.

Anyway, what do you think about the patch I posted? Michel, can you please try
it? I don't think having to use ShadowFB with the fbdev driver is too bad
because it should generally enhance performance :) If the patch is okay, I'll
submit it to XFree86.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project