Another signal handling bug?

Kevin B. Hendricks kevin.hendricks at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 18 08:28:31 EST 2000

Hi David,

Two things:

1. setting the sa_mask to sigemptyset will not mask out any signals in your
handler (see the sigaction man page).  I think you want sigfillset if you want
to mask all signals while in your handler.  Here is a snippet from the sigaction
man page.

       sa_mask gives a mask of signals which  should  be  blocked
       during  execution of the signal handler.  In addition, the
       signal which triggered the handler will be blocked, unless
       the SA_NODEFER or SA_NOMASK flags are used.

2.  You should techically always be calling async signal safe routines
frominside any signal handlers.  Grabbing a mutex lock is not one of these.  You
can sometimes work around this using semaphore posts (which are technically
allowed) inside signal handlers since they are async signal safe.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

.