Signal mask restore anomaly

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at deepspace.mklinux.org
Thu Aug 17 13:11:01 EST 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Frank Jas wrote:

> Under certain circumstances, a signal blocked while a
> signal handler is executing will not be restored.

Hmm... I think I may be seeing something similar to this as well.  It
could explain some very strange behaviour I'm seeing in my alarm handler.

> The following execution sequence leads to the anomalous behavior.
>

> Trigger the SIGTSTP handler with a ^Z
> While executing the handler, deliver a ^Z and ^C
> Hit return to return from the handler.
> Another instance of the SIGTSTP handler should execute.
> Hit return to return from that instance of the handler.
> Notice that the SIGINT handler does not execute and should have.
> Any subsequent SIGINT are apparently blocked.

I'm almost sure I'm seeing this.  Except for me, it's a 10/sec. alarm
handler and a SIGUSR2 that only occurs occasionally.  Major hair rippage.
Let me know if anybody sees what's up.  Until then, I may stop blocking
SIGUSR2 and see if that helps one of my two problems.  :-)

Later,
David

A brief Haiku:

Microsoft is bad.