Help with string.S

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Thu Aug 17 10:50:57 EST 2000

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response...

tom_gall at vnet.ibm.com writes:
> That's not right. Which version of linux-2.4.0-x do you have? I'm sure Paul's,
> Cort's and and I know for sure mine work for more than 32 byte cache lines
> because 2 of my boxes have 128 byte cache lines and there's support in there
> for it. (Paul wrote it... awesome stuff)

I'm talking about linux-2.4.0-test7-pre4, from:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.0-test6.tar.bz2
plus:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/testing/test7-pre4.gz

I believe this is the latest test snapshot of what will soon become the
official 2.4.  Is there some other repository I should be looking at for the
lastest ppc stuff?

> This isn't the only spot too by the way ... glibc has the some problem.

Yes, in sysdeps/powerpc/memset.S.  This is easily enough solved by nuking it,
and allowing glibc to use the generic C version.

> > It sounds like a few people have at least had a shot at adding support
> > for other than 32 byte cache lines, but none have propagated into the
> > official kernels; how does that happen anyway?
>
> By official are you meaning Linus' ?

Yes.  Do I need to run BitKeeper to keep up with the latest ppc changes?
They don't seem to be making it in to Linus's kernel...

Thanks,
Graham
--
Graham Stoney