dmasound - kernel panic

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Fri Aug 11 20:29:30 EST 2000

> I've found that I can crash the kernel by cat /dev/audio. This is the
> message I'm getting immediately

The current version(s) [dmasound monolithic, back-port & 2.4.0] do not have
a read translation for:

MU law
A law.

So I'm afraid, for the moment, this will not work.

The reason for the oops is that the code does not check (having found a
translation table) that individual routines are *all* present.

This will be fixed at the next patch release.
I may do a read translation (but... feel free ;-)

Note that these days kernel-based sample-rate & size conversion is
deprecated.  It really requires FP to do the job properly.

Much better to record from /dev/dsp in some appropriate 16 bit format and
then convert off-line using sox or something like that.

Iai.