[RFC] 2.4.0-test6-pre2 Merge softirq, local_irq_count, local_bh_count

Keith Owens kaos at ocs.com.au
Sat Aug 5 17:37:14 EST 2000

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000 17:14:36 +1000 (EST),
Paul Mackerras <paulus at linuxcare.com.au> wrote:
>Seems to work ok on uniprocessor PPC.  The 2.4 kernels have problems
>on SMP PPC boxes at the moment so I haven't tested it on SMP.

Thanks for that.  Linus rolled the patch into 2.4.0-test6-pre4.

>Have you done any measurements, with lmbench or whatever, to measure
>how much performance improvement you get with the patch?

No, it was not really driven by performance considerations.  SGI wanted
to add a syscall count for performance and fail over monitoring.  Linus
said he would accept the syscall count if we cleaned up softirq at the
same time, instead of having two statistic cache lines per cpu.