Kind of success! (r128 on PPC (Re: LinuxPPC X Server))

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Sat Aug 5 01:03:51 EST 2000

[For the linuxppc-dev people: this is about the DRI CVS trunk]

Kostas Gewrgiou wrote:

> > GL clients even seem to attempt direct rendering now, however I get one of
> > two different errors every time:
> >
> > Error: Rage 128 timed out... exiting
> >
> > Error: Could not submit packet... exiting
>
>   From what i see the problem is probably in the R128_READ/WRITE macros in
> r128_drv.h you need byteswapping functions there (and memory barriers as
> usual).

That did it, thanks! I changed those macros to use the same inline functions
which are used for MMIO_{IN,OUT} on PPC, and here we go!

The remaining problems are:

16 bit doesn't work neither with fbdev (colors completely off - does aty128fb
still use 15 bit in fact?) nor without (at least the grey tones are right
there - wrong endianness?)

At 32 bit, it flickers badly on my Pismo, probably because it only has 8 megs
of VRAM. (These messages appear in the log:
(EE) r128(0): Unable to reserve depth buffer
(EE) r128(0): Unable to reserve texture space in frame buffer
) Curious how it works out for people with more...

About performance: It's much better than software rendering (at least for big
windows) of course, however not too fast with lots of polygons. AGP GART would
definitely be a good thing I guess (Ben: hint, hint :)

Still, big kudos to the DRI team for a great work!

Michel

--
Sometimes you have to stride boldly up to life,
 look it straight in the eye, and say "huh?"