Where does ppc define __start___ksymtab?

Paul Mackerras paulus at linuxcare.com.au
Thu Aug 3 16:13:46 EST 2000

> I have been trying to find where ppc defines __start___ksymtab and
> __stop___ksymtab symbols.  These delimit the __ksymtab entries for
> module symbols.  On every other architecture that supports modules,
> arch/xxx/vmlinux.lds contains lines like this
>
>   __start___ksymtab = .;	/* Kernel symbol table */
>   __ksymtab : { *(__ksymtab) }
>   __stop___ksymtab = .;
>
> I can find no equivalent lines for ppc in a stock 2.4.0-test5 source
> tree yet ppc obviously defines them somewhere.  But where?

I think they must be defined automagically by the linker.  They aren't
defined explicitly anywhere but we still end up with a __ksymtab
section with the __start___ksymtab and __stop___ksymtab symbols
defined at the beginning and end of it.

We can add those lines if you like, that's no problem.

Paul.

--
Paul Mackerras, Senior Open Source Researcher, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax