CONFIG_PPC != Mac

Johnnie Peters jpeters at mvista.com
Tue Aug 1 09:57:25 EST 2000

Iain Sandoe wrote:

> On  Sun, Jul 30, 2000,  Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> [snip]
> > Personally I'd more like a configuration where you can select whatever you
> > want of
> >
> >   - PowerMac (CONFIG_PMAC)
> >   - PReP (CONFIG_PREP)
> >   - MTX (CONFIG_MTX)
> >   - CHRP (CONFIG_CHRP)
> >   - Gemini (CONFIG_GEMINI)
> >   - EST8260 (CONFIG_EST8260)
> >   - APUS (CONFIG_APUS)
> >
> > with of course some extra logic to prevent illegal combinations.
>
> This would definitely get my vote too.  There are too many cases where you
> can enable conflicting build options at present - it causes much
> frustration.
>
> Iain.

There are also other considerations.  While there is almost always enough memory to

carry the extra functionality it is not always the case.  Some boards are being
booted
out of rom and may still only have a limited amount of space to hold the kernel.
In any
case do we really want to wast the space.

As Dan stated it also causes a lot of extra work on ports to new boards that
probably
do not need all the configuration parameters for the pmacs.

Johnnie

MontaVista Software, Inc.