XFree 4.0 dual monitor on AGP G4

Ryuichi Oikawa roikawa at rr.iij4u.or.jp
Sat Apr 29 02:37:26 EST 2000

> > BTW, why do people like fbdev very much?
>
> - one can use the generic fbdev driver if the dedicated driver doesn't work
> - if the dedicated driver supports fbdev, access to the hardware is
>   coordinated between all virtual terminals
But XFree has excellent drivers(and extensions) optimized for the X server
and they work with a slight modification(at least for mga and r128 cases,
AFAIK. I like easy way). And we do access drawing eigine directly...

> Use of the fbdev support is optional.
I misunderstood non-using fbdev support is optional in the ppc world
reading discussions on the list...

BTW, I don't hate fbdev at all. It is the only way to provide large
console on linux and also very important for X server to support 1st
generation PCI macs' on-board video, etc.

Thank you,

Ryuichi Oikawa
roikawa at rr.iij4u.or.jp