Serial driver problem (modem Lombard)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 26 22:15:12 EST 2000

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:33:13PM +0200, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> >
> > > Now I can report a clean, more or less, well ppp operation.
> > As I wrote, it always works on the first try.
> > It sometimes fials on the second and following tries with 2.2.15pre19.
> > It always works with the 2.2.15pre3 which does not have ir support build
> > in.
>
> I'm not sure, is it possible to disable IR in the kernel build? worth a try.

Probably.

> > If wvdialconf scans the ir port ttyS1 on 2.2.15pre19, die machine bombs.
> have you tried with something other than wvdial? (which I don't know), I
> use netcfg.

Wvdialconf scans all devices and tries to detect a modem.
For that reason it writes normal modem commands to the device.
So when scanning the ir port in my case, it should not detect a
modem, because there is none.

I just like to report the bug that the machine bombs with the
2.2.15pre19 kernel when wvdial writes the nonsense to the IR port.
A machine should never bomb.

My ppp runs fine with the configured modemport, apart from a couple
of occasion where I could only use it once.

I guess the next step of debuggin would be to try to use the IR for
something useful.
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)