[linux-usb] Close to a solution. Please help !

Matthew Dharm mdharm-usb at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Apr 24 22:17:52 EST 2000

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Daniel Gonzalez wrote:

> THE DESCRIPTION:
> I have the following /etc/fstab entry for the Zip
>
> /dev/sdb4  /mnt/usbzip  auto noauto,user 0 0
>
> I have also tried with sda4.

Do you have support for SCSI disks available (either compiled in or as a
module)?

> THE GOOD SIGNS
> [root scsi]# cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/2
> Host scsi2: usb-storage
>     Vendor: Iomega
>    Product: USB Zip 250
>   Protocol: Bulk only
>  Transport: Transparent SCSI
>       GUID: 059b0030059b003003005fc1

This is a very good sign.  It shows that the driver has identified the
device, and attempted to communicate that information to the SCSI layer.

> [root scsi]# cat /proc/filesystems

This isn't needed for debugging.

> THE BAD SIGNS
> [root scsi]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices: none

Hrm... so the SCSI layer probed for the device, but didn't find
anything....

> This after I have issued a:
> [root scsi]# echo "scsi add-single-device 1 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

This command isn't really needed anymore.  Generally, when you attach a
device, it will appear immediately.

> But it could be that the creation of /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/2 was caused
> by that last command. I did not pay attention to that.

No, it wasn't.  usb-storage-0/2 is created by connecting the device.

What you need to do now is set syslogd to save kern.* to a logfile, and
then attach the device and load all the drivers, and send me the logfile.
You also need to enable USB Mass Storage debugging.

I'm suspecting that this is an endian-ness problem.  I should be able to
identify that relatively quickly once you send me the logfile.

Matt Dharm

Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm at one-eyed-alien.net
Senior Engineer, QCP Inc.                        Work: mdharm at qualcomm.com

DP: And judging from the scores, Stef has the sma...
T:  LET'S NOT GO THERE!
					-- Dust Puppy and Tanya
User Friendly, 12/11/1997