PATCH: requesting feedback on dead function optimisation

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Tue Apr 11 15:26:14 EST 2000

Andrew Morton writes:
> Graham, do you have any numbers on what this does to the overall build
> size?

By itself, the difference is not enormous. It starts to grow though once you
turn off CONFIG_PROC_FS and CONFIG_SYSCTL, and will make an even bigger
difference when/if I get around to generating a CONFIG_MESSAGES patch to allow
you to turn off all kernel messages. This eliminates all the human-readable
strings from the kernel, for use in deeply embedded systems. I've seen savings
of around 150-200K for hacks I've done so far, but it's hard to give a final
estimate yet.

Regards,
Graham
--