Setting up yaboot

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Thu Apr 6 23:40:42 EST 2000

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 02:23:38PM +0100, Mark Steer wrote:

> I've recently setup my new Pismo/400 with Linux and, as of this morning,
> Darwin 1.0 and I think I'm going to require a hard drive upgrade about 6
> months sooner than I'd planned for...

;-)

> I can confirm that you do need to add the PowerBook3,1 line into the
> <COMPATIBLE> section before the Pismo will use the os chooser script
> correctly.

thought so...

> One thing I noticed, at least with this machine, is that the line:-
>
> boot hd:10,\\yaboot
>
> will fail unless I rewrite it as:-
>
> boot hd:10,yaboot

that line means boot yaboot from the root directory, certianly the
most reliable method i have found other then hd:,\\:tbxi (which only
works on CHRP scripts with a properly blessed directory)

the first notation means to load the file from the blessed directory,
which if there isn't one will fail.  macos tends to remove the
blessing from non-macos directories.

> This is the first new world machine that I have setup with Linux so I don't
> know if this is right for others or if my configuration may be different.
> I'm going to be upgrading :-) an iMac DV with Linux this afternoon so I'll
> report back what that one does with regard to the os chooser script.
>
> Now I'm off to try and rewrite the script so that I can choose Darwin as
> well...

does darwin still use UFS or ffs for its default filesystem?  if so it
probably uses a bootstrap partition of type Apple_Bootstrap or
Apple_BootROM setup pretty much the same way i advocate (that is where
i got the idea, from OSX server) if it does still use this partition
you should be able to add a reference to it like so:

hd:6,\\:tbxi

to your chooser script.  where 6 is the real partition number of the
darwin bootstrap partition.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/