New booter

David A. Gatwood dgatwood at mvista.com
Thu Sep 16 10:23:58 EST 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Tom Rini wrote:

> > >So I'm not sure what you mean then by the "bootblock of the disk".
> >
> > on intel machines disks are typically use the very first 512 bytes on
> > a disk as a bootblock and partition table, the bootblock portion of
> > this is something like 446 bytes long, the BIOS when booting the
> > machine has a boot device specified all it does it load that 446
> > bytes into memory and execute it that code could be the NT loader the
> > old DOS/win95 loader or it could be LILO, that code then can do
> > whatever it need to do.  in lilos case it loads its second stage
> > loader from the root filesystem and that takes care of loading the
> > kernel, if you replace ext2fs with xfs all that needs updating is
> > possibly the second stage LILO.  no specific partition or filesystem
> > is needed and the BIOS does not care what filesystem you use.
>
> But a good loader knows how to deal w/ FSes.  The FreeBSD loader is
> wonderful, and can boot any kernel on the disk, unlike lilo.

Agreed.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that lilo on PCs is a kludge.
After all, it's a program that has to fit into a little 512 byte chunk of
tightly coded assembly that has a number of bugs that are, as a result,
hard as heck to fix.  Further, it requires you to have a running linux
system to configure lilo to be able to boot.  What?  You don't have a
running linux system?  Your lilo.conf stuff got hosed?  Go fetch a rescue
disk.

Any booter that doesn't understand filesystems and has to have a list of
blocks is a serious kludge.  For instance, who is to say that you want to
boot off a block device at all?  And what if I wanted to replace a kernel
from within another OS?  Can you say pain in the...

As for the contention that lilo works for 90% of the cases, in only a few
weeks working with x86 machines, I've already run across a case where it
couldn't be installed.  Perhaps a fluke that I'd run across it that
quickly, but a _good_ boot mechanism works 100% of the time.  Depending on
a particular block to be always unused is more than a kludge, it's
downright dangerous.  What if two architectures share a drive?  What if
they happen to pick the same critical boot block?  Baaaad idea.  At least
if it's a filesystem at a particular location, you can read it and say
"hey, that's not a valid fs" or "hey, that partition table is bogus".
With a boot block, there are no second chances.  You just crash.

Later,
David