stty < /dev/modem blocks???

Randall R Schulz rrschulz at cris.com
Thu Sep 16 03:27:15 EST 1999

Lou,

As you know, the less-than (<) operator in all Unix shells opens the
file name given as an argument before it executes the command. In
order for an open() call on a TTY device to complete, the RS232
hardware signals that indicate the presence of an active device
connected to the port. In practice, this means that the DTR (data
terminal ready) signal must be asserted before the open call will
return. Because the TTY drivers are "slow" devices, the kernel wait
call that synchronizes the application program's open() call with the
serial hardware state is interruptable. That is why you can get out
of the "hang" with a SIGINT (control-C).

The reason you're able to make the analogous thing work with
/dev/pts/0 is that in place of waiting for a hardware signal, the PTY
driver slave side (/dev/pts/nn) waits for an open on the
corresponding controlling side (/dev/ptc/nn). If you're running X and
you have a terminal window open, then there's a terminal emulator
with the controlling side of /dev/pts/0 open and that allows your
"stty </dev/pts/0" command to complete.

Randy Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA