note about compiling SMP kernels

Sriranga Veeraraghavan ranga at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 10 15:18:09 EST 1999

> So, before compiling for SMP for the first time, do a make clean in
> the tree first, even if the tree has no object files in it.

Is the correct procedure still:

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make pmac_config
make menuconfig (or whatever you please)
make dep
make clean
gmake -j 3 vmlinux

Just as a side note: I recently upgraded to LinuxPPC R5 and was able
to sucessfully compile a SMP 2.2.12 kernel from stock sources from
ftp.kernel.org.

I have since determined that my problems with LinuxPPC R4.1 were due
to an older version of gcc/egcs. The stock gcc in R4.1 is egcs 1.02,
but it looks like I needed egcs 1.1.2 to sucessfully build a SMP
kernel.

----ranga <ranga at soda.berkeley.edu>