question about altivec registers

Claude Robitaille crobitaille at videotron.ca
Tue Oct 26 09:28:25 EST 1999

The flag is to actually tell the kernel that your application is using
the Altivec registers, so that it can save time by not saving and
restoring them when the interrupted or swapped application is not using
them. It is supposed to be dynamic so only routines actually using Altivec
should set (and clear) it. I am not sure of the details so look into the
manual for the hardware support. I think the kernel should enforce the
use of this flag since moving the full Altivec register set is time
consuming (16 bytes X 32 registers = 1/2 KB).

Claude