bypassing MacOS using Open Firmware on Apple pmac G3

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Sat Oct 23 12:03:33 EST 1999

On 22/10/99 Ani Joshi wrote:

>	could you please get yourself a "clue" and stop making such stupid
>statements, this will prevent people from thinking you are as foolish as
>your statements.

excuse me?  OSX will not change the current OF that we have now which
is preventing a non macos bootstrap, OSX bootloader is not going to
load linux we still have to hack our own.  after OSX comes around
Apple's OF will likely stop being so bloody macos 8* specific. as I
believe is what peter meant. that does not change a damned thing for
all the broken machines we have now.

>	2.4?  if its 2.3 you mean, hfs works fine with the latest (2.3.22
>on my box is doing hfs fine), and i recall long ago formatting an hfs
>floppy, though i forgot the util, i think it was in hfs-utils or
>something....  i may be wrong though...

I recall a thread on this list not too long ago where it was reported
that HFS.o needed to be modified or rewritten to be compatible with
the new kernel, just like every other filesystem, it was mentioned as
a concern because nobody seems to be maintaining the hfs filesystem
code. (or netatalk or anything else in the apple filesystem realm)

><flame>
>	personally, this sounds like a lot of whining, this really has no
>place here.  if you could please add some constructive comments on what
>needs to be done instead of "this sucks, of sucks, you morons morons need
>to fix it", why don't *you* do something about it then?  why don't you try
>and fix it?

bullshit, the current and past OF implemenatations have been causing
nothing but trouble for just about everything related to linux, the
more recent ones solve some problems but created new ones for the
bootstrap, Peter seems to agree with me that OF is broken in its boot
method as it creates headaches for OSX as well!  I have been spending
alot of time trying to find various way to get OF to work with
anything non macos and its really quite a pain.  I HAVE been trying
to do some things to fix it, I have given Ben alot of clues and
information to help with this issue.   so why don't you stop your
useless flaming.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/