Modern PowerPC Assembly?

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Sat Oct 23 08:34:21 EST 1999

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999, Sean Chitwood wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a book or website for PPC Assembly Programming?

It depends on what you exactly mean and your level. For smart tricks look
for the Compiler Writer's Guide somewhere on IBM's site. I've personnally
learnt PPC assembly from reading the architecture specification and got
some more useful tricks from the Compiler Writer's Guide.

<Shameless plug>

For an example of a fairly large (but still comprehensible IMHO) assembly
program, you may have a look at my em86 program on ftp://vlab1.iram.es.

This is an emulator for x86 BIOSes which allows me to initialize my S3.
It's quite heavily commented and the emulation of flags has been designed
to make clever use of rlwimi and cntlzw instructions. OTOH the decoding
of addressing modes is quite awful spaghetti (but this was faster than
indirect branches). Plus the mixture of little and big endian made it very
funny to write...

</Shameless plug>

	Gabriel.