SuSE Rage 128 Xserver Source and XFree 3.3.6

Kevin_Hendricks khendricks at admin.ivey.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 21 21:32:26 EST 1999

Hi,

>So is the Rqge 128 driver stuff already in 3.9.16 ?

According to the list of Xservers given on the XFree86 org page, it is NOT
included.  They have completely restructured Xservers for that release.  Now
they all start with the base Xserver while calls up various shared-libraries to
handle driver specifics / acceleration, etc.

Given XFree86 policy of not releasing source, (according to their website they
specifically request that people *not* join just to get access to pre-release
source).  I hope SuSE simply just posts the source.

This whole process simply makes no sense.  Why give development source only to a
body that can not release it for others?  Not exactly using the strength of the
free software movement?

I guess I shouldn't complain, Sun won't let me release the JDK source to others
(just diffs).

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks
Associate Professor of Operations and Information Technology