Hardware Diagnostics?

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 12:07:39 EST 1999

	Well right next door to your own neighborhood,
Randall, lies a strange little organization some call
VA Linux Systems.  I call it VA Research because
golly, that's what it was when I wrenched 6 months of
MY LIFE INTO IT.
	Well anyhow my roommate, their junior software
engineer, has coded a hardware burn-in scripting
language and the scripts necessary for it to have
basically destroyed certain parts of Linux and every
aspect of VA's IA32-based hardware.  It has exhibited
many known longstanding really-hard-to-fix flaws in
ext2.  In its current basic state, it's a real
MTBF-dropper.  :}
	It'll soon be sent into opensourcedom.
	Is a burn-in script what you're lookin for?

--- Randall R Schulz <rrschulz at cris.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  From time to time I cast about for software that
> will perform
> hardware diagnostics. To date, I've come up
> completely empty. As a
> youg 'un learning computers with PDP-11s and VAXes
> all about, we
> always had low-level diagnostics we could run to
> find bad memory
> locations, processor glitches, I/O channel problems,
> disk errors, etc.
>
> Is this no longer true? Is it one of those things
> that separates the
> "desktop" / personal computer from the workstation
> and mainframe?
> Does anyone know of any programs that fit this
> general description?
> I'm most interested in RAM and cache diagnostics,
> since that seems
> like the most likely point of failure. CPU
> diagnostics would be nice,
> too and I feel least concerned about the disk. If my
> concerns are
> askew, please enlighten me.
>
> Any help of any sort would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Randy Schulz
> Mountain View, CA USA

=====
"Don't expect your own messiah; this neverworld which you desire is
only in your mind." -- http://www.dreamtheater.net/songb4.htm#IV5