serial on lombard

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Oct 15 00:21:31 EST 1999

> On Thu, Oct 14, 1999, Chris Ridd <Chris.Ridd at messagingdirect.com> wrote:
>
> >> Note that this is the/a way to set CLOCAL -- open the device with
> O_NONBLOCK
> >> and then tcsetattr() or whatever.

My bad. I was confused by the alarm coming in after the open call apparently
returned. And I had forgotten the specific trick to set CLOCAL.

> >The open on /dev/ttyS0 returns a valid fd, so it is succeeding. As BenH
> >pointed out, the problem is the SIGALRM ringing which causes Minicom to
> >erroneously think it couldn't open the device.

But it shouldn't timeout if the open hadn't blocked some way or other.

> I just checked and yes, the driver doesn't check the O_NONBLOCK flag, it
> always block for 2.5s (since, I think, there's no DCD, it's a hackish

Nah, that's the 2.5 sec wait for powering up the modem, which is,
unfortunately, before the block_til_ready. We could forgo this wait period
on O_NONBLOCK (maybe mark the wait pending, and make the next operation wait
instead).
Anyway: how come open returns successfully but minicom still gets the
timeout?

	Michael