PowerPC function returning long long

Michael Meissner meissner at cygnus.com
Thu Oct 14 14:35:39 EST 1999

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 04:12:30AM +0000, Bob Doyle wrote:

> Michael Meissner wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 10:06:02AM +0200, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> > >
> > > On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Bob Doyle wrote:
> > >

> [snip]
>
> > The above doesn't work with -mreg-names and/or -pedantic.  Instead you should
> > write:
> >
> > unsigned long long get_timebase(void) {
> >         unsigned long long retval;
> >         unsigned long junk;
> >         __asm__ __volatile__ ("\n\
> > 1:      mftbu   %1\n\
> >         mftb    %L0\n\
> >         mftbu   %0\n\
> >         cmpw    %0,%1\n\
> >         bne     1b"
> >         : "=r" (retval), "=r" (junk));
> >         return retval;
> > }
>
> Thanks, thats just what I was looking for...
>
> I've found several tutorials on x86 GNU inline asm but none on the
> PowerPC.
> If I were to write a HOWTO would anyone volunteer to proof read
> and/or contribute code examples?  I suspect I'm not the only one
> struggling through this.

I don't know whether he reads this list, but the two PowerPC GCC maintainers
are David Edelsohn <edelsohn at gnu.org> and myself <meissner at cygnus.com>.  We can
probably offer suggestions, though I suspect we probably don't have as much
time to actually write anything.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886